Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Assignment #8--Poems

When analysing a work of literature readers often use may methods in order to gain a better understanding of the text. Formalist criticism, reader response, psychological, mythological, and gender criticism are some of the many forms of criticism. Each and everyone of these critical approaches can be used in different texts. In "Tell all the Truth but tell it Slant," by Emily Dickinson reader response criticism can be the best way to analyse this poem. Reader response focuses on what happens in the readers mind while interpreting te text. The reader's attitude, knowledge, experience and situation can influence how the text comes across. Since in this case I'm the reader, I will apply my experiences and situation to better gain insights o this poem. Emily Dickinson is basically trying to say that to tell the truth but to say it gradually so that way no one will go into shock. She suggests that if we go around circles, meaning to say it little by little, then we will be successful. I remember one time when I had to be honest and say the truth to my mom, and I decided to just say pieces of it one day at a time which at the end made my mom trust me and not be so upset.
Emily Dickinson uses children as a way to better explain why the truth should be told, but gradually. "As lightning to the children eased with explanation kind." As I was growing up my parents would sort of dress up the truth (mainly the bad ones) for me not to be so scared. Children don't have the capacity to understand why certain things happen in life. If we put our experiences, knowledge, or situation into the text then we understand why Emily Dickinson suggests we tell the truth but gradually.

No comments:

Post a Comment